There has been a mill on this site since 1203, this was the Waulk Mill of Kilwinning Abbey. A Grain and Flour mill was built in 1614 and in 1622 both mills were bought by the Blair’s of Blair who were to own them until 1922, when the Ferguson family bought them. In 1869 a disastrous fire destroyed the original grain mill, the collection of mills, barns, byres stables and cottages that visitors see today, date from the rebuilding after this fire. The architecture and appearance of the buildings have not been altered by the new use, and they remain an unspoilt vernacular architectural masterpiece.
History of the Mill (pdf)